Oatmeal is a key ingredient in many delicious dishes not to mention that oatmeal itself is a breakfast that will do miracles for your digestive system if you eat it regularly. However, did you know that oats can help you solve some household struggles and health issues? Below you will find some unexpected uses of oatmeal that can make your life easier! Check them out:
- Being among the people that deal with unbalanced skin oiliness or a general skin issue, you are advised to make a scrub out of oatmeal. Blend 4 tablespoons, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of baking soda. It should form a thick paste. This will work perfect for balancing your skin oil levels as the oatmeal and baking soda will neutralise too dry or too oily skin and the coconut oil will keep your skin moisturised. Rinse with lukewarm water after a couple of minutes.
- If you are fighting acne breakouts, you may be surprised to learn that your breakfast oatmeal can be used to help you handle this issue. Let your oatmeal cool and apply it on your problem areas. After about 20 minutes, rinse it off and apply a mild moisturiser. How does this work? As oatmeal can absorb oils and bacteria, it is the perfect remedy for acne. If you want to multiply its effect, you can add tea tree oil or honey to the mixture.
- Do you want to try a soothing facial mask that will revive your skin? We are pretty sure you have all the essential ingredients in your kitchen cabinet! Mix half cup hot water with 1/3 cup oatmeal for 3-4 minutes, add 2 teaspoons of honey and yoghurt each and add one egg white. Apply on your face and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and enjoy your smooth and rejuvenated skin!
- When you have to fix a crumbling burger, you can use oatmeal as a healthier substitute to breadcrumbs. In the same line of thought, you can bind meatloaf, meatballs and veggie burgers.
- Nobody likes a bad-odoured fridge nor a cigarette smelling room. These smelly issues can be easily handled with the help of some oatmeal. If you are living on rent such issues may present a problem and you may not receive your security deposit back. Don`t wait until it`s time to perform an end of tenancy cleaning, there are some things you can do in advance in order to remedy the smelly situation. Leave an open container of oats in the fridge to absorb odours and line your ashtray with oats to neutralise cigarette smells.
- As you already know, oatmeal can help you with different skin conditions. However, people are not the only one that get them. If you notice that your dog feels uncomfortable and itchy, you should definitely try this remedy to help them get rid of itches. Mix equal parts warm water and oatmeal and rub the solution over your dog’s coat. Wrap it with foil and keep your dog still for about 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water afterwards and soon you will notice your furry friend scratches less.
- Did you know that you can make a dry shampoo using oatmeal? Of course, there are tons of commercially-made ones you can easily get in your local supermarket but why don`t you make your own natural one? The best part is that it costs almost no money. What you have to do is grind oatmeal into powder and add the same amount of baking soda. Mix well and apply on your hair roots. Let it sit few minutes and brush out – this mixture absorbs perfectly oils and odours!
- You have probably been there – you do some gardening tasks, a greasy work in the garage or you perform a heavy duty cleaning process. In every case, the outcome is one and the same – very dirty hands. Your local domestic cleaners have good news for you – oatmeal can help you get rid of the grimes on your hands. Mix oatmeal and milk to create a thick paste and rub it over your hands. This solution will clear your hands and it will also provide a good hydration.
- All eyes on the people that are constantly trying to lose weight – oatmeal is high in fibres and also promotes the feel of fullness. You are recommended to use oat flour instead of wheat as it contains fewer calories and has excellent nutrient values. A recent study showed that eating oats also helps you endure more during a workout. Eat a bowl about 2 – 3 hours before your workout and you will notice the difference.
After reading this article, not only you should start eating more oatmeal to promote a healthy living but take advantage of the other benefits it provides!